It's been a quiet day, with a few reports of phish and pop-up
spam. It looks like we haven't covered spam reporting in a while.
Because I work so much with spam already as part of the
sa-blacklist and SURBL projects, I take an additional step and report
spam to the organizations and agencies that have interest in certain
spam categories. I tend to prefer email accounts to which I can
spam emails as this is easier to script than trying to send the emails
through web forms.
First, the FTC will take any spam you get; send it to
uce_at_ftc.gov . Also, spamarchive.org is interested in any spam you
have, but please send it as an RFC822 attachment (see your email client
docmuentation on "How to send as an attachment") to
Here are the reporting addresses I use, by category:
- Theft of cable services: ocst_at_ncta.com
- Child pornography: children_at_interpol.int, gmail_at_cybertip.ca .
Other than these, do <i>not</i> redistribute the spams, visit any
advertised sites, or keep the emails. You shouldn't send these to
spamarchive.org as these are republished on an ftp server.
- Nigerian/419 scams
- OEM software: netpiracy_at_siia.net, piracy_at_microsoft.com
- Phish scams: reportphishing_at_antiphishing.org,
phish_at_ists.dartmouth.edu, spam_at_mailpolice.com . Also,
postmaster_at_corp.mailsecurity.net.au and report_at_reportphish.org are
interested, but please send the phish mail as an RFC822 attachment.
- Pills: webcomplaints_at_ora.fda.gov, drugs_at_interpol.int
- Pyramid scams: fraud_at_uspis.gov
- Rolex/replicas: steve.gobin_at_rolex.com, expert_at_lpconline.com
- Stock/pump and dump: enforcement_at_sec.gov
- Tobacco: alctob_at_ttb.treas.gov
- Viruses: avsubmit_at_symantec.com, newvirus_at_kaspersky.com,
samples_at_F-Secure.com, virus_at_cai.com, virus_at_commandcom.com,
Some of the above came from
page - many thanks for an excellent resource. The email addresses I
covered above tend to be focused on US agencies; definitely visit
spamlinks if you live outside of the US.
-- Bill Stearns (
Apr 10th 2006
1 decade ago