Port 2968 big rise - related to Symantec AV?

Published: 2007-01-10
Last Updated: 2007-01-11 04:36:52 UTC
by Jason Lam (Version: 1)
1 comment(s)

Port 2968 is getting quite a jump recently. Take a look at the graph below.

Port 2968 Graph

We suspect the jump is due to the recent Symantec AV 10.1 exploitation. The previous exploits generally hit on port 2967 since that's the port that Symantec AV listens on (for Windows). According to documentation from Symantec, port 2968 is only used for AV running on Netware servers. We are not sure at this point whether the attackers are targeting Netware server since other hosts have all been exploited already or if Symantec AV listens on port 2968 as a backup port. If you have any info on the port 2968 traffic, please let us know.

Keywords:
1 comment(s)

Comments

I have been experiencing many odd firewall notifications in my Mac. A file named Ruby appears to have enabled options such as: bluetooth, screens appear then disappear, Unix has users and passwords in the programming that block me from making changes in login, unable to delete files without passwords (that I did not set up). This file is embedded in the OS X software and Unix itself, and is NOT a part of my programming. Which makes me wonder if other computers start up systems that are left vulnerable to intrusion also?

Diary Archives