Threat Level: green Handler on Duty: Xavier Mertens

SANS ISC: What Anti-virus Program Is Right For You? SANS ISC InfoSec Forums

Participate: Learn more about our honeypot network
https://isc.sans.edu/honeypot.html

What Anti-virus Program Is Right For You?
For my Mac I have chosen Norton because of the brand name. I don't like the government ties Mr. Kapersky maintains so I will not use his product. Sophos on my Mac caused a lot of problems so I won't be using that any time soon. I haven't tried BitDefender but I might in the future.
Chris

6 Posts
Quoting Povl H.:But any AV product is better than none for most users.

This is why free AV is best for non-savvy home users (and maybe non-tech-centric businesses as well). They don't really understand why they need AV in the first place. They don't want to care about it expiring, and they sure don't want to pay to renew it. Like a lot of us, I do family tech support, and my family gets MS Security Essentials (or Sophos for Mac) because everything else makes them panic.

For business, it's all about integration and support. Make sure that your endpoint protection plays nicely with your installation, logging, and monitoring tools. Think hard about using DIFFERENT vendors on perimeter versus endpoint to maximize the chances of catching malware. Think even harder about going toward whitelisting to make AV matter as little as possible.
Chris
1 Posts
We started with F-Prot back in the days of DOS, then Norton Anti-Virus, then Symantec Anti-Virus, then F-Secure, and now Sophos. Since going with Sophos (for about 2.75 yrs.), I don't remember having problems with a singe Fake Antivirus issue and very, very few system rebuilds. I have to admit, I fell behind in keeping F-Secure up to date, too much to do, not enough time. The secret of going to Sophos was a Sophos person spent an hour on the phone with me and help me setup the Sophos Enterprise Console. Without his help I would have used the same excuse that I had for F-Secure - not enough time, to much to do. Of course, persistent user education has helped as well. I could say more but to much to do, not enough time...
Bullwinkle

4 Posts
Microsoft has said that Windows Defender on XP/W7 is not a standalone service. Microsoft Security Essentials (renamed to Windows Defender for W8) is a full AV/Malware protection client.
Bullwinkle
1 Posts
We started with F-Prot back in the days of DOS, then Norton AntiVirus, then Symantec AntiVirus, then F-Secure, and currently Sophos. Since going to Sophos, over 2.75 years ago, we have had very few malware events to deal with. Before Sophos, might experience a Fake Antivirus event every two months, since Sophos only one in 2.75 yrs. In defense of F-Secure, I had just not had time to keep it upgraded, too much to do. The reason we went to Sophos, they offered to get on the phone with me for an hour and setup the Sophos Enterprise Console to get me started. No company had ever offered that before.
Bullwinkle

4 Posts
It depends upon your basic needs and system configuration. Some people buy the pricest one while some make use of the FREE ones. I am currently using the free version of Immunet antivirus http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html and it works well.
Bullwinkle
1 Posts
It really depends like I use free avast for my laptop in Baltimore but on this PC i use Kaspersky because I feel like its more reliable and has a little more great features I watch a lot of videos on this PC anyway which is very dangerous depending on which website you are on.
Tman

2 Posts