Java 6 Update 6 has been released

Published: 2008-05-20
Last Updated: 2008-05-20 16:38:26 UTC
by Raul Siles (Version: 2)
4 comment(s)

Sun has released Java 6 Update 6 including 13 bug fixes. At first glance going through the Release Notes, only one of them seems to be security related, but as always, it is recommended to update to the latest version (after appropriate testing).

You can check your current Java version here. Thanks Roseman for the heads up!

The update is still in the process of showing up through the standard Sun update mechanism. I have tested and run "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jucheck.exe" and still says I have the latest Java version.

IMPORTANT: Remeber, as always, to manually uninstall any previous Java versions.

--
Raul Siles
www.raulsiles.com

Keywords: java
4 comment(s)

Comments

Also note Sun End of Service Life for Java versions:

1.4 (EOSL)-October 30, 2008
and
5.0 (EOSL)-October 30, 2009

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html
It was actually released back in April. I installed it Apr. 21, 2008. Sun really needs to work on their update mechanisms.
Sun does need to work on their update mechanisms, but not in the way you think.

The EVEN numbered releases are deliberately for limited release by developers and administrators so that they can do their required testing.

The ODD numbered releases are for general distribution to the unwashed masses and are picked up by the autoupdate mechanism.

When you are releasing open source software that runs on each and every operating system in the world, you need a stepwise release schedule of this nature.

Diary Archives