419 death threat scam

Published: 2007-05-08
Last Updated: 2007-05-08 21:54:43 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
0 comment(s)
A relatively new scam is circulating on the Internet:

There are a number of variation on the text, but it all boils down to (I've chosen a short version as an example):

"Hello,
I wish to let you know that i have been paid by a client to assasinate you at convenience,and i have signed a contract of $650,000 yesterday for this.I have never met you before,but they gave me the full description of your identity and contact,together with your photograph which my boys have used to trace you.

The reason why they want you Dead is not disclosed to me as i was not allowed to know,but you are now not better that the dead ok.

My BOYS are now contantly watching you,they are following you-home,office,everywhere.....,you go and they are waiting for my instruction to terminate you.And they will strike at convenience.

THIS IS MY MESSAGE-

LISTEN VERY WELL !!!!,the Police cannot do much to help you out in this right now because you are being watched,any such attempt is very risky cause you will push us to terminate your life without option. Your calls are not safe also.In fact you are traced.
I have no business with you but at least i have cleared the way as a pro-,but you may have one chance to live again if you can contact me not latter that 24 hours after this mssage.

GOODLUCK!!!
"
[Spelling and Grammar enthusiasts, please abstain, the errors were in the original)

Some versions ask for more "realistic" amounts, are longer, have less spelling mistakes etc.

Basically there is a drop box on some free email provider where they expect you to contact them.

The best possible advice: DO NOT MAKE CONTACT. These guys will just spam you if you do not respond, once you respond they've spotted somebody who might fall for the scam and they'll be much harder and annoying to get rid of.
This is the classical "don't be the easiest target".

This is becoming known as a "419 death threat", use that term when reporting.

How to report:
  • the abuse contact of the drop mailbox where they try to make contact
    gmail: gmail-abuse/AT/google.com
    yahoo: abuse/AT/yahoo.com
  • If you can get them to give attention, report it as an attempted scam with the appropriate authorities for the part of the world you live in.
    In the USA, from the FBI: "If you have experienced this situation, please notify your local, state, or federal law enforcement agency immediately. Also, please notify the IC3 by filing a complaint at www.ic3.gov."
Success!

--
Swa Frantzen -- NET2S
Keywords:
0 comment(s)

Comments

Diary Archives