Apple QuickTime and iTunes continued

Published: 2006-01-14
Last Updated: 2006-01-14 02:11:18 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
0 comment(s)
Apple seems to hit a rough spot in the road with their latest patches.

iTunes

Accusations of the software's main new feature calling home with track and artist names of the files you play. Now of course that's needed to show related albums for you to buy, but there are a number of questions remaining open. Till then, perhaps it's better not to have the call home feature if you value privacy or just have too many mp3s ...

QuickTime

I have the original upgrade myself and no problem so far, but aparantly Apple has recalled it. And they also seem to have published it again. Bottom line: I'm confused. Take care with not updating QuickTime to 7.0.4. as it did patch 8 vulnerabilities. Perhaps that silly joke movie can wait a little longer than getting exploited.

Of course if you produce movies quicktime's functionality might be more important than the security of your browser on the Internet and your risks might be different.
  • For general users, I would urge not to downgrade as you'll have the vulnerabilities back. Moreover the problems seem to be not that clear. I'm running the initial Quicktime 7.0.4 uprade and it works just fine.
  • Still the uninstaller is here should you not be able to continue without the old version.
Before some of our readers think I'm bashing Apple: I'm typing this on a Mac, a Mac I like a lot.
Before some think I love Apple for all they do: I don't, but that's another story.

--
Swa Frantzen
Keywords:
0 comment(s)

Comments

Diary Archives